Does smiling back at the mirror make you frown afterwards? This can happen if you notice your teeth turning yellowish or even brown.
Sometimes, your teeth can discolour despite your efforts to keep them clean. Normally, as you age, your teeth also wear off and become more susceptible to food and tobacco stains. If you’re considering teeth whitening, here are some things you should know beforehand.
Types of teeth whitening
In-office teeth whitening
One safe way to whiten your teeth is to have it at your dentist’s. Professional teeth whitening uses medically approved products and tools to improve the brightness of your teeth. Aside from safety, you can also see results right after your session. Depending on the dental clinic’s offer, usually, your teeth can brighten up to ten times your natural shade.
The process is quick and comfortable. Usually, you will visit your dentist twice and for about an hour for every visit. The procedure entails the dentist applying a tooth whitening gel on your teeth. There’s a low percentage of hydrogen peroxide in the said whitening gel, which is the one making your teeth brighter.
For clinics that have modern tools and facilities, the application is faster and easier with laser treatment. This is also safe and not painful as you won’t need any anesthetic for the procedure. Many have opted for this process with only one downside, which is its cost.
At-home teeth bleaching
At-home teeth bleaching is another way of making your teeth brighter by doing it yourself. You can either buy teeth whitening kits over-the-counter or consult your dentist so they can recommend you with products that are suitable for you.
Some of the products used when you consider at-home teeth whitening are whitening gel applied on trays, whitening strips, whitening toothpaste, and whitening rinses. The thing with at-home methods to brighten your teeth is the assurance that they are effective. Some home whitening procedures may be effective, but it takes you to spend more time and money just to achieve the result.
Old-age remedies for stained teeth could also work. These are natural options, and doing them regularly can improve the colour of your teeth, provided that they are only minor stains. You can eat food such as apples, celery, and pears since they can trigger you to salivate. Your saliva helps remove food debris on teeth and neutralizes the acid, which is the main culprit for tooth decay.
Although there can be differences with teeth whitening techniques are performed, the main goal is to benefit from it. Here are the advantages of teeth whitening for you:
- Improved appearance. Teeth whitening is a cosmetic procedure; hence, improving your teeth’ appearance is the primary goal. As a result, you will also begin to improve your overall appearance after achieving brighter teeth.
- Regained confidence. Some patients find their confidence again after getting whiter teeth. It’s easier to smile when you know you can flaunt your pearly whites!
- Better mental health. Since you no longer worry about discoloured teeth, you reduce the anxiety that comes along with it.
- Easier to socialize. Socialization requires you to talk and smile. You will hardly get to know people or gain some friends if you barely interact through talking.
- Getting your dream job. Just like socializing, acing that interview for your dream job needs you to talk with confidence. Having new white teeth might just do the trick.
- Highlights your quality than your flaws. If you have anxiety about your imperfections, you can steer the looks away from them as people focus on your beautiful smile.
Aside from the many benefits of teeth whitening, some patients might also experience some side effects. However, they may be typical post-treatment results that may go away for some time. These issues may be teeth sensitivity and gum irritation. It can rarely occur, and if they do, your dentist in Burlington can quickly treat it.
To know more about teeth whitening and how they do it at Blossom Smiles Dental, here is a short video for you.